Monday, April 18, 2011

Watch out! Your Grocery List Aint So Green

Fact One: I am a 21 year old from New Jersey and I regularly feel the need to buy food, because I enjoy not starving myself.
Fact Two: Cheap prices, sales,cool packaging, and popular brand names regularly determine my decision to buy products, planned or not.

I realize something undeniably obvious exists when I think about the above facts. There are millions of people, just like me, influenced by the exact same things. Creepy.

Not only is it creepy to imagine an army of Brianna's, but the fact that this army is easily persuaded to buy any product that catches their eye is creepy for the environment and public health, too. Attention to all who can relate: Cheap,shiny, and popular brand NEVER determine purchases when it comes to being a smart consumer, no matter what Walmart says!

Okay, this is turning into a scary post, I get it. But most people need to be a little alarmed in order to pay attention to problems. Grocery shopping is a necessity in the daily life of the average U.S. citizen. Unfortunately, you would be surprised to find out the kind of crap you've been wasting your money on. Check out the videos posted below for the documentaries Food Inc. and Kind Corn. Not the full videos, but you could definitely find them on Youtube. On your mark, get set, EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!!!!

Food Inc, Trailer


King Corn, Trailer








If your stomach feels like it was ripped from your body and then put back inside-out, I've just made my point.
If you only checked out the previews, please get on Youtube and check out the full videos, you will thank me afterwards, after you probably vomit or never eat again. Just remember, the next time you're in a rush at the store picking up almost anything made by a mass producer, you probably want to read the ingredients and/or NOT buy it. Oh, and here's a link to a cool site with tons of fun information on sugar. Enjoy!
http://www.wellnesstaskforce.org/media/cms/mediafiles/toolkit-sugar.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment