Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cutting out Confusion

The more I think about the real meaning of sustainability, the green movement, or smart design, the more I wonder how many people out there REALLY don't have a clue what any of it means. This presents a dangerous bottleneck in the process of raising awareness and changing the way the modern human being consumes resources. I have taken a definition from the most generic word reference website, dictionary.com, which has come to define the term "sustainable" in the English Dictionary as follows: 


 Sustainable (adj) : Capable of Being sustained; ( of economic development, energy sources, etc.) capable of being maintained at a steady level without exhausting natural resources or causing sever ecological damage.

There, now that we have THAT cleared up, I also want to include a definition I found on UCLA's sustainability site, seen as the following(reference located at bottom of post):


" A sustainable society is one that is environmentally viable, economically robust, and socially just and equitable one that meets the needs of the present without compromising the resources for future generations."


For those of you new to these terms, when I reference anything sustainable throughout this blog, these definitions are important to understand in order to fully comprehend my mission and purpose here. I am generating greater awareness on issues, news, innovations, and concepts that are shaping the future of a sustainable society, in order to maintain lifestyles at a steady level without exhausting natural resources or causing ecological damage. The best part is, I know that all of you are FULL of great ideas as well. I want to hear what you have to say, and so do many others. Let your voice and thoughts be heard. Tell some friends, but better yet, tell me! What is your personal definition of sustainability? Leave a Kuhl comment on this post or leave me a message!


     



*UCLA sustainability site: http://www.sustain.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=5

No comments:

Post a Comment